Getting a good nights sleep is very essential. Many people struggle with their sleep patterns and end up waking up in the morning with incomplete sleep. Even after a long day, sleep is elusive, forcing a choice between embracing their inner night owl or tossing and turning for hours. Some might have no trouble dozing off, but suffer from waking up in the middle of the night with racing thoughts.
When it comes to deep sleep, one supplement rises above the rest: CBD oil for sleep. You already know CBD can help you relax, but you may not be sure if it can actually help you turn the lights off and achieve a night of more restful sleep.
Now lets learn how CBD helps with sleep.
Do you know the root cause behind your sleepless nights?
Common sleep disturbances can be attributed to:
- Stress – Stress isn’t just in your head—it creates a physiological response. As your adrenaline and cortisol levels rise, your body primes itself for “fight-or-flight,” This can mean that your body actively fights sleep.
- Physical discomfort – When you’re distracted by sore muscles, stiff joints or even skin irritation, it can be difficult to relax enough to achieve REM sleep. If you’re frustrated about the discomfort, it can even result in stress, worsening the issue.
- Alcohol, caffeine, and other substance use – Many people look forward to coffee in the morning and a nightcap at the end of a long day. While using these substances can be fine in moderation, overreliance on caffeine and alcohol can interrupt your sleep pattern and rhythms, making it harder to fall and stay asleep over time.
- Inflammation – From viral infections to nervous thoughts, inflammation is your body’s natural response to threats. It signals your body to fight the invader and is necessary for healthy healing. However, when inflammation becomes chronic: inducing drowsiness while making it difficult to sleep being first and foremost.
The good news is that CBD can help you address most of these root causes that are interfering with your sleep cycle. With stress-fighting and muscle-soothing effects, CBD can help you fall asleep more easily and potentially reduce your reliance on other substances that negatively impact sleep quality.
CBD and the Endocannabinoid System
How does CBD help to achieve more restful sleep? It all comes down to the Endocannabinoid System (ECS). The ECS is a network of cannabinoid receptors in the central nervous system and peripheral nervous system.The ECS is thought to play a role in regulating:Inflammation
- As noted, the ECS is specifically a network of cannabinoid receptors. THC and CBD both have their characteristic effects thanks to their interaction with these receptors:
- THC can overwhelm the ECS, resulting in mood changes, euphoria and increased sleepiness. However, it can also have unwanted effects, like short-term memory loss and paranoia.
- In contrast, CBD seems to have a more indirect, soothing effect, supporting our body’s natural regulation in the above areas. Additionally,on its own, CBD is not psychotropic.
This means CBD for insomnia can help address the root causes of poor sleep—stress, aches and inflammation—as well as support a healthy circadian rhythm.
For more information visit our website or check out our range of CBD products today!